Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe2

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I like Rob Zombie better than White Zombie. The main reason, is less Thrash and more Hard Rock.

I'm also going on record with I like Hellbilly Deluxe 2 better than the first Hellbilly deluxe.

The album opens with Jesus Frankenstein, which is a great opening track. It totally kicks off the album perfectly. It gets the body pumping, and the heart pounding. It's that awesome horror story of B cinema, or European insanity, pouring out through music artistry. That being said I'm not actually that big of a fan of the song.

That's followed up with Sick Bubblegum, which is the perfect blend of classic tongue-in-cheek dirty lyrics, mixed with a song that makes you wanna, "Rock mother fucker / Rock mother fucker". This song screams a whole lot of hell yeah, without actually saying it.

What? to me is total stream on consciousness writing, set to a blisteringly awesome Surfer Rock beat. This is just pure darkly artistic fun. "Alright! / My human duplicators with a / prehistoric women and Jack the Ripper / said WHAT? / She married a monster on the very / last day and the she turned around / and said WHAT? / I was a teenage a something or other / with a Judge Five man [WHAT?] / Vampire Lovers in a wild bikini / say uh-huh, uh-uh,uh-huh / Cannibal man and a jungle girl / say uh-huh,uh-huh,uh-huh / Here we go! / Like a son of Kong, like a Fu Manchu / They do not know what to do WHAT? / I got a vulture with a rabid eye and a killer bee screaming WHAT? / A real mastermind , a genius of some kind but I do not understand WHAT? / Vampire Lovers in a wild bikini / say uh-huh, uh-uh,uh-huh / Cannibal man and a jungle girl / say uh-huh,uh-huh,uh-huh / Midnight offerings in a mini skirts and / Mr. Rock N Roll / Satan's Cheerleaders / Bouncing Pom Poms / Bouncing Pom Poms / Rave on with me / Rave on with me / Rave on with me / [Here we go] / Vampire Lovers in a wild bikini / say uh-huh, uh-uh,uh-huh / Cannibal man and a jungle girl / say uh-huh,uh-huh,uh-huh / Rave on with me / Rave on with me / Rave on with me / Aww and the oh yeah! / Rave on with me / Rave on with me / Rave on with me / Awww and the ohhh yeah!"

I love the Southern Cowboy theme that opens Mars Needs Women. You'd almost think Black Label Society had been a part of making this album. Instead it's another group of guys that understand that everything makes great Hard Rock. Oh yeah, then this song turns into a giant, Earth stomping, ground thundering, monster of blasting sonics. Oh yeah, it's also totally hardcore Sci-Fi, baby!

Werewolf, Baby is more of that classic B-Movie Horror movie mixed with awesome Rock riffin', but with a total Southern flair. I mean this is the type of music that gets me off. Although this is a song that I don't feel a need to listen to on my own. I'm not a fan of Virgin Witch. I know some people will love this big nasty monster of beastliness, I just think it's stock. No harm, no foul, every album can have a little stock like this.

I am so in love with Death And Destiny Inside The Dream Factory. I love hearing Rob Zombie deliver the lyrics, with a song that chugs along at break neck speed. "Free your mind and feel the passion, baby / Death and suntan, still in fashion, baby / Hollywood, In Hollywood / Yeah, Crush your idols, they can afford it, baby / Permanently vile and fascinating / Hollywood, in Hollywood / Break it down / Please stop calling / I'm so sick / I think i'm falling / Break it down / Please stop calling / I'm so sick / I think i'm falling / Inside the mind fucking, meat grinding, unwinding, soul sucking factory of all your dreams / Cinema regressing at you, baby / Charge it to production, will ya baby ? / Hollywood, in Hollywood / Yeah, Somewhere in a canyon, death is waiting / Hippie freaks and convicts congregating / Hollywood, in Hollywood / Break it down / Please stop calling / I'm so sick / I think i'm falling / Break it down / Please stop calling / I'm so sick / I think i'm falling / Inside the mind fucking, meat grinding, unwinding, soul sucking factory of all your dreams / Break it down / Please stop calling / I'm so sick / I think i'm falling / Break it down / Please stop calling / I'm so sick / I think i'm falling / Inside the mind fucking, meat grinding, unwinding, soul sucking factory of all your dreams".

I'm not a fan of Burn, but I do really like the "papa oom mow mow". Totally appeals to the kid in me that loved The Beach Boys and Alice Cooper equally, up until I was twelve or thirteen.

I dig Cease To Exist as a total art piece. It's so very well done, and has a great music score, which is the best way to describe it.

I don't know if Werewolf Women Of The SS was inspired for the fake movie trailor for the Grind House Double Feature, of the same name, or the trailor was created from the concept of this song. Either way I want to see the movie. Also, I totally love the Surfer Rock in this song. Johnny 5's guitar playing is amazing. The man is brilliant.

The album finishes with The Man Who Laughs which is a total performance piece. Even the drum solo, which helps extend this song to the 9:44 marker, is totally performance, and not just rhythmic hitting.

This album is a must have. It's heavy, it's hard, it's sexy, it's itelligent, it is Rock for the mind. This is artistry, for people willing to express a free mind, and understands why monsters are cool.

8/10 - content

10/10 - production

9/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment