Monday, March 25, 2013

Black Label Society - Stronger Than Death

I start this review by expressing the joy I get from Black Label Society, and how much I love Zakk Wylde's ability to deliver some kick ass Hard Rock.

I haven't been able to pick up too many B.L.S. albums, being unemployed for a couple of years really hurt the music budget. So, my good buddy Drew hooked me up with some burns. Like the way we use to make album tapes as teens.

Stronger Than Death is one of the four albums he burnt for me, and I'm glad he did. At least I know it's an album worth buying, and where to put it on that list of CDs to pick up. Let's say it's on the list, but not high up, unless I find it second hand for the right price.

The album opens with All For You which is a really strong start, and a great way to kick off the album. However, it sets the mood for the album really quickly. Which leads to the album sounding either a little stockish, or like a bunch of over extend jam riffs, mixed with some cool lead guitar work.

I love the way Phone, Smiles & Fake Hellos opens up. It's different and unique, and then leads into a song that I find a bit stockish by the end. Totally bad ass, but not exactly special in the grand picture of B.L.S.

I went back to see what I had written about 13 Years Of Grief when I covered it on Skullage. The song didn't seem to impress me all that much then, and it still doesn't now. It rocks hard, and will have you want to bang even harder, but it's nothing overly special. It's just really fucking awesome hard riffing rock.

If I'm going to have an issue with anything with Zakk Wylde, it'll be the fact that his vocals are a little Grunge sounding. They have that drone that have me thinking of Alice In Chains. Hell, I think Alice In Chains fans would really dig on Black Label Society if they opened their minds. I notice this while Rust plays on by, but then a solo starts up, and it's beautiful. Saying so much while not overplaying it on the notes. It was a true Rock solo. If this song had come out in the height of grunge some might have accused Zakk of being a sell out. I think it's a nice change on this album.

Superterrorizer brings the album back to it's beastly nature. This is one of those songs for the Metalheads. It's big, and brash and all kinds of foot stompin, fist pumping rage. The music fits the song well. That's one thing I like about Zakk, he understands how to make a song feel. Every song he does, is as heavy as a storm on the river Styx, especially with Zakk playing the ferry man, trying to collect early. However, they don't all sound the same. There are traits that remind you of many other songs he's done, but in an AC/DC kind of way. Just really heavy.

Counterfiet God oddly sounds like the production was pulled back for no reason, but in a good way. It gives it more of a Rock sound, and a little less Mass Distotion Metal. I do find that the main riff gets a bit annoying after a bit. It's that same droning noise I mentioned earlier. It's awesome mixed in with other CDs. Not so great just on it's own.

I could have seen Ain't Life Grand being an Ozzy tune. In fact, part of me thinks that this song would have been done better with Ozzy performing the vocals. I would have also liked to have heard the lead guitar pushed a little further ahead in the mix. I love the way Zakk sounds on slower songs like Just Killing Time. During the parts when his voice isn't being pulled back in the production, because you notice how much more thought goes into his words. They aren't just lost in the mix. Also this song is a totally beautiful Southern Rock ballad. This is taken right out of a Lynyrd Skynyrd play book. "I sit reflecting / I feel the end has begun / It seems my days now mirror the setting sun / So many places that I have been / This ride that was long seems so short in terms of now and then / For All that has been / And All that is / All that's to be / Lord, I'm just killing time / And time's killing me / Dead man breathing, just taking up space / Calloused and weathered like the lines on one's face / Dead man breathing, my conscience is bare / The lining of my soul is torn yet I no longer care / For All that has been / And All that is / All that's to be / Lord, I'm just killing time / And time's killing me". Then there's the guitar solo and I'm all wet. I mean this is the type of guitar playing that makes Zakk the man. No one plays like that anymore, at least no one that I'm hearing.

Stronger Than Death sounds exactly like a song with that title should. So, its loud brash, and everything that good Metal needs.

The album finishes with Love Reign Down. It's a solid finish. You could say that the song is multi-parted. I can say that when you hit the halfway point of the song, I find it gets a lot more interesting. If not for that, the song would be more stock sounding.

The biggest problem with this album is how structurally ridged it is. It's a lot more Metal in that regard, and I find I like Zakk better when he's playing a loose Rock. I get why the Metalheads would love this album. I also think the Grunge people out there, could really get behind this album. As a Rock guy this album is decent, but I like it in a mix. Not as one consecutive listen.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment