Monday, July 23, 2012

Motorhead - Rock 'N' Roll

Right after I picked up the Motorhead's Overkill album I found Rock 'N' Roll at a discounted rate. I don't think I paid more than $10 and it was money well spent.

Do I say that because this is an excellent album. I don't think any album that contains the line "Bacon Torpedo" can ever be called an excellent album. However, this is a Rock N' Roll album.

The album opens with the title track which is your basic celebration of all great things Rock. If any band aside from Motorhead were to do this tune it would surely suck most heinously.

Eat The Rich is a great song. I'm not enitrely sure if it's about cannabilism or oral sex, with a line like "Bacon torpedo" it's hard to tell. Either way it feels great to take a bite.

The next track is very Motorhead, and yet not at the same time. Blackheart is sort of typical, but typical in Motorhead's trippy kind of way. The song really isn't trippy though.

Stone Deaf In The USA is a great travelling rock song. Up beat, with a good boogey and nice guitar work. It's swinging and swigging in that American like style.

Then there's an unlisted track performed by special guest, Micheal Palin of Monty Python. It's a nice little prayer Python fans may remember, but slightly altered for Motorhead's consideration. "So they may hopefully buy more trousers."

After that it's back to full speed with The Wolf. A standard affair from this band. It's blazing fast, has a ripping solo, and sounds like a hoard running toward your house to kill, rape and beat everyone inside, and it doesn't even have to be in that order.

Traitor follows that up. It's nothing special. It's one of those songs that does nothing for me on it's own, but it's cool mixed into the album.

Dogs is a bit of a weird one. I don't care for the verses too much, but when it moves to the pre-chorus and chourus I think the song takes off. I like the solo and the break in the middle of the song too.

I pretty much feel the exact same way about All For You, which is the track that follows Dogs. Although I don't care for this song as much.

The album finishes up with Boogeyman. I don't know what to make of this song. It's too fast to boogey to, but it has a boogy feel. The content is a bit freaky, but in a b-movie style. It's just sort of all over the place.

All in all this is an okay album. I like it better mixed into my CD player with other albums on random. When listening to it as a whole I find that it doesn't have the same qualities as other albums. It's almost like Rock 'N' Roll is an album of fillers.

6/10 - content

7/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment