Monday, July 16, 2012

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack

The movie Yellow Submarine was released in 1968, based on the music by The Beatles. In a time before music videos, the leaders of the British Invasion decided to make a giant music video full of new and old material.

I opted to make this songtrack (as it's called) the first review I did for The Beatles, because it was the first song I knew from the Fab Four.

I had a record that had a bunch of fun songs that were kind of for kids on it and Yellow Submarine was one. (Also it was the only Beatle song on it). That was long before I even knew that there was a movie for Yellow Submarine, or an album's worth of material to go with it.

The album's title track was one of the earliest songs I can remember from a very early age. I had a little record player that i knew how to use and at the age of 5 or 6, this song got overplayed. I still love the catchy Pop hooks, extra sound productions, and simple instrumentation. Also Ringo's vocals are always so happy and fun sounding.

I like Hey Bulldog. I have no logical reason. It may be the early fuzz guitar ripping it up in parts, or that gangland bad ass feel. All I know is I like this song, which was recorded specifically for the movie.

Eleanor Rigby is another song that I really like for reasons I can't explain. It's depressing as all hell, and is pretty much only a Beatles song because of the vocals. There are no instruments being played by the band, just a nice string section.

George Harrison is the reason I love the sitar, or at least the sound of it. Love You To's intro, and continued sitar use, mixed with eastern sounding percussion, makes for a totally out there song. It's mystical, whimsical, swerving, and a little hypnotic.

All Together Now, much like Yellow Submarine, is a child like song, in sound and performance. Content is all up to interpretation, in which I would say that maybe it's not so child friendly. Well, that depends on your views on drugs.

LSD - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, enough said. We've all heard the stories. Actually, that's not even close.

This is one of my favourite songs from The Beatles. It's a journey, within an enigma, within a drug induced fantasy, that is meant to open your mind. If you ask others it's non-sensical gibberish, but those people have no imaginations. I can listen to this one over and over, sober or stoned and still arrive at the same place. The next song up is a little too close to the Pop period for me. Think for Yourself, is one of those songs that reminds my of why I like the Psychadelic era so much better.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and With A Little Help From My Friends, can not be considered separately. It's like a blasphemy.

These are two also on my list of favourite Beatles songs. I have always thought of Sgt. Pepper as being very early Metal sounding. I mean, that song just comes crashing down fast, hard and heavy. With A Little Help is a great comedown that leaves you feeling really good afterward. They are like sex, and the happy moment right before sleep all wrapped together in two nice neat songs, meant to be like one.

I'm pretty sure Marilyn Manson got his idea for Beatuiful People from Baby You're A Rich Man. I don't recall ever reading, or hearing it in an interview. However, I'm sure this was the original genesis. It's a fun bouncy number, but it does little for me other than thinking that it inspired Manson.

Only A Northern Song was recorded during the Sgt. Pepper album sessions, but held back from release. That may have been a good idea, since this is another goofy song. I personally like it in a mix, but while listening to just the album it doesn't do too much for me.

If there is any song that defines the true sentimental value of the Hippy generation it would be All You Need Is Love. The big orchestra-like build up that moves into a gentle harmony and melody, before building back up for the chorus. A chorus that everyone should sing with a smile on their face and a tear in their eye.

I love the idea behind When I'm Sixty Four. It's sweet and innocent, and so beautifully outdated to hear Paul sing, especially since he turns 70 this year (June 18, 2012). I don't think he has to worry about anything in the lyrics either. I've never really been a fan of the song.

Nowhere Man is another one of those Beatles Pop songs. The Lyrical content is kind of interesting and I like the minimalist guitar solo, but that's about it for this song and me.

The songtrack ends with It's All Too Much. I like this one. It's musically interesting, but without being stupidly complicated, or over the top on production. This is a song that sounds like it was allowed to evolve through it's own breathing. When it comes down to it, I like this album mixed up with others. It allows for a variety of sounds and styles. However, listening to just this album on it's own does very little for me. It's not Psychadelic enough to keep me going, and too Poppy to be taken seriously.

There's also an idea that floats around in the back of my head that says this was an excuse to throw b-sides and other tracks that didn't quite make it to albums in a mix for the fans to hungerly snap up. Especially when mixed with an animated movie, full of drug and sex references.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment