Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Adele - 21

I love Soul. I love Rhythm and Blues. Not to be confused with that Whitney Huston/Toni Braxton, 80's/90's, became nothing but shit, R&B. Adele is put in Adult Contemporary or R&B, and both are fine, but not fair. She deserves better than both. She actually is a respectable musician and writer, not just an amazing set of pipes. Her second album is a classic Soul/Jazz/Rhythm and Blues/Motown album. This album has it all, including the status of now being an overplayed annoying piece of shit. However, before that happened this was a really good album, and will be again one day.

The album opens with Rolling In The Deep. I'm sure you've heard it. I still really like this song and one day may finish figuring out how to play it. It's just a really good song, packed full of major emotions.

I loved Rumour Has It the first time I heard it. Back when Rolling In The Deep was the only single for this album. Even Glee has already used this one. It's the fact that it's pretty much a rhythm secetion (mainly percussion) with fantastic use of layered vocals to set the rest of the song's melody. This is really classic Motown to me.

Turning Tables is sung beautifully. "Close enough to start a war / All that I have is on the floor / God only knows what we're fighting for / All that I say, you always say more / I can't keep up with your turning tables / Under your thumb I can't breathe / So, I won't let you close enough to hurt me / No, I won't rescue you to just desert me / I can't give you the heart you think you gave me / It's time to say goodbye to turning tables / To turning tables", are lyrics that show depth, but at the same time are very typical of a female to sing. That is one of my major complaints about this album. It's a little to whiney. I applaud anyone that takes a break-up and turns it into multiplatinum success, but an album full of it, is a bit much.

Don't You Remember has a bit of a Nashville sound. This could be played on Country radio just as easily as Adult Contemporary. I didn't mind it the first couple times I heard it, but after the tenth listening it became a skipper. Part of the problem is I'm not a heart broken young woman, and even when I've been heart broken I can't stand songs like this.

The only song on this album I still like as much as Rolling In The Deep is Set Fire To The Rain. Oddly this song hasn't been played to death for me yet, and I have people in my house learning this one on piano as well. However, I must give props where props are due, and here they are. This song first sounds different than most of the others, secondly is more like listening to her emotions explode than just crying into a pillow. I would personally have no issues doing a cover of this song, if I were to put together a Blues Rock album.

He Won't Go is pretty much a skip it for me. However, I know that lyrically this song appeals to so many women. "Will he... will he still remember me? / Will he still love me even when he's free? / Or will he go back to the place where he would choose the poison over me? / When we spoke yesterday, / He said to hold my breath and sit and wait / "I'll be home so soon, I won't be late" / He won't go / He can't do it on his own / If this ain't love, then what is? / He's willing to take the risk", personally I find it very typical.

Take It all is just more of the same still at this point.

My friend Drew has the belief that Adele is actually one of those fucked up stalker chicks. I tend to agree now. I mean she's always going on about "The Guy" taking all of her, without her being there, or she's "accidently" running into him, or she's paying way too much attention to the new life this guy is trying to start for himself. When you think about it, this woman is actually really sick in the head. I'm sure the reason no one knows who the guy that inspired this album is, because he has a restraining order to prevent anyone contacting him even in regards to her. This album is a practice in obsession, and we rewarded her with Grammy's and various other rewards.

I'll Be Waiting, while much more upbeat and enjoyable, is still more stalking. I mean look at these lyrics. "Hold me closer one more time, / Say that you love me in your last goodbye, / Please forgive me for my sins, / Yes, I swam dirty waters, / But you pushed me in, / I've seen your face under every sky, / Over every border and on every line, / You know my heart more than I do, / We were the greatest, me and you, / But we had time against us, / And miles between us, / The heavens cried, / I know I left you speechless, / But now the sky has cleared and it's blue, / And I see my future in you,".

This keeps going in One And Only. "You've been on my mind / I grow fonder every day, / Lose myself in time / Just thinking of your face / God only knows / Why it's taken me so long / To let my doubts go / You're the only one that I want / I don't know why I'm scared, I've been here before / Every feeling, every word, I've imagined it all, / You never know if you never try / To forgive your past and simply be mine". I mean there is a clear indication of mental instability here. This woman is just really luneybin obsessed.

I do like the arrangments on One And Only. Most of the songs on this album are well put together, and musically enjoyable. It's the lyrics that really start to become a problem after a while. Also the album is a bit of a downer.

The first time I listened to the CD I was impressed I knew two of the songs right off the bat. Rolling In The Deep, since it was the first single, and Love Song. I didn't know Adele's version, but I was really familiar with the original, by The Cure. This version is really good, although done in a lounge singer with organ kind of feel. Even the percussion sounds a bit like it could be from a fancy organ.

The album ends with a song I really liked. Now everytime I hear it I want to put my head through a wall. Someone Like You, use to be the great song that I only heard whenever my CD put it on. Then it became a song I heard everywhere, all the time. I mean it's stupid how overplayed this song got.

Then came the day Drew went, "Wow, she's a stalker." When did he say that? The first time he actually paid attention to these lyrics. "I heard that you're settled down / That you found a girl and you're married now. / I heard that your dreams came true. /Guess she gave you things I didn't give to you. / Old friend, why are you so shy? / Ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light. / I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited / But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it. / I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded / That for me it isn't over. / Never mind, I'll find someone like you / I wish nothing but the best for you too / Don't forget me, I beg / I remember you said, / "Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead, / Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead, " / Yeah". This woman clearly needs to be committed. How much more evidence does a person need that this woman is dangerously imbalanced.

All in all, insanity tends to create good music. There's multiple Alice Cooper albums that help prove that point. However, obsessed stalker female crazy is really scary. I mean "boiled the bunny" scary. So, if you like crazy women and Soul this album may be for you. I personally am tired of hearing it.

7/10 - content

8/10 - production

5/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment