Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ramones - Adios Amigos

If you are one of my regular readers, you'll know about the four pack of Ramones CDs I picked up. This is the review for the last album in that pack and the last studio album from the leather clad Punk band. But Adios Amigos sends the Ramones off in the right way. While C.J. is the bassist and secondary vocalist, Dee Dee is still the writer of many of the songs. Many having appeared on Dee Dee's solo albums.

I Don't Want to Grow Up is a Tom Waits cover that kicks off the album. Kathleen Brennan is also credited as a writer. This is 2:46 of the Ramones doing that classic Ramones kind of song. It's fast, enjoyable, very singable, and not really Punk except for the fact that it's fast.

I find it funny listening to C.J. singing a Dee Dee tune, but that happens often and in the case of Makin Monsters For My Friends. I love a good Dee Dee penned song. This one is decent, but not quite good. Some of the lyrics make sense but are cheese. "Everybody said so man you could see it on T.V. / They stood there ashamed with nowhere to go / Nobody wants them now the kids are alright / Every day is a holiday and pushin' people around / I'm making monsters for my friends / I'm making monsters for my friends / Someone caught one I could see so myself / I had to call 254 so they wouldn't blame me / We wanted to know how much trouble there was / When we asked our daddy he said it's just because / I'm making monsters for my friends / I'm making monsters for my friends / I don't wanna open a can of worms and / I don't want any Spagetti-Os / And I could always tell when / someone is holding a grudge / I'm making monsters for my friends / I'm making monsters for my / friends / I'm making monsters for my friends / I'm making monsters for my friends ".

It's Not For Me To Know is a dark ballad of sorts. It's one of those ones that I love from Dee Dee. My only problem with this song is the production. It sounds like everyone was recorded separate and poorly at that. It's like they didn't even try to balance the mix.

The Crusher is not a song that I care for. It's the type of punk I have no use for. I find it surprising it was from Dee Dee Ramone's Rap album, it sounds like a lot of Punk I remember hearing in the mid to late nineties. Which I was never a fan of.

Life's a Gas is the first song on the album written by Joey Ramone and you can tell. The lyrics are much more compact, and the song sounds very much like a sped up version of a 1950's Rock band performing at a High School dance. Think Back To The Future.

Take The Pain Away is another Dee Dee track and it's the first one on the album I'm totally okay with. The sound is good, the lyrics are decent, the music is what I like from this band, and it's got a real serious kind of edge to it.

I Love You was originally written by Johnny Thunders. I don't care for this version of the song.

Cretin Family is the second last Dee Dee Ramone track. As a song I think it's interesting and I totally see what they were going for with it. I just don't care for it. It's not right on a Ramones album.

Have A Nice Day is a Marky Ramone song. I'm not sure if this is the only song he penned, but wow nothing like waiting to the last album. Lyrically, it's not bad. Musically, it's pretty basic.

Scattergun is a C.J. Ramone tune. Since this album was released in 1995 I feel I can blame C.J. Ramone personally for some of those horrible Corporate Pop Punk wannabe Emo rockers, like Blink 182. Seriously they all ripped off the basic principle of this song.

Got A Lot to Say is another C.J. Ramone tune. It's got some humour to it, and that's about it.

She Talks To Rainbows could be considered the last song written by Joey Ramone for a Ramones album, and it is so sexy. Seriously this song is amazingly perfect. It's like listening to the band performing in a park at night, under those orange lights, around some kind of tunnel or walled in area. It's just so damn cool.

Born to Die in Berlin is the last Dee Dee Ramone track to appear on a Ramones album, and it's the last track on the album. Dee Dee even appears on the track while singing in German and recorded by phone. The song even clocks in at a solid 3:31 which is rather long for the Ramones. It's worth the listen too.

At the end of the listen I'm not a fan of this album on a song by song basis. She Talks To Rainbows is the only song I would listen to, and probably will listen to on any type of regular basis. However, I can see hard core Ramones fans listening to many of the songs. There's even a few that I might go check out the Dee Dee Ramone version of the songs. You can tell the band was done with the way this album sounds.

7/10 - content

6/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment