Tuesday, June 25, 2013

4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!

The story of this album opens with my daughter. One day she's playing a song on the computer that I recognize as What's Up, which was the only song I have ever actually associated with 4 Non Blondes. However, the song was not the original. It was some techno pop cover bullshit. Well it might not have been that bad, but it wasn't good.

I quickly corrected Ashlee's error in music listening by pointing her to the original, which she promptly proclaimed was so much better. Then one day while in the music store I came across a used copy of Bigger, Better, Faster, More! for a resonable used CD price and picked it up for the kid. It has been in the household CD player ever since. Which is about two or three months now.

I will also say that I'm a bit upset that I never picked this album up when it first came out in 1992. I'm not sure why I didn't, most likely because it wasn't heavy enough for me at the time. However, I get to enjoy it for as long as my little girl still lives at home and that will have to do for now.

The album opens with Train which is a blistering fast accoustic number, full of speed, swagger, and some bitchin' harmonica playing. I seriously could not think of a better way to open an album. I mean this is full out, wild ride on a the train running out of Hell.

It's a bit of a style change for the next song Superfly, which is very funky. It's not soulful funky like one might might find from Parliment or Funkadelic, but it's still got a groove with some slap and tickle on the bass, that sound all kinds of fun.

If I know What's Up?, and my daughter knows What's Up? then the way I see it, you should know What's Up? too. Now, I enjoy listening to this song, but to be honest I've become rather partial to when I jam this one out with my little Ashlerz. It's great listening to her sing the lyrics, while I help out on the chorus from time to time. "25 years of my life and still / Trying to get up that great big hill of hope / For a destination. / I realized quickly when I knew I should / That the world was made for this / Brotherhood of man / For whatever that means / And so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed / Just to get it all out, what's in my head / And I, I'm feeling a little peculiar / And so I wake in the morning and I step / Outside and I take deep breath / And I get real high / And I scream to the top of my lungs / What's goin' on? / And I say hey-yeah-yeah-yeah, hey yea yea / I say hey! what's goin' on / And I say hey-yeah-yea-eah, hey yea yea / I say hey! what's goin' on / Oooh, oo! ooh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo / Oo-ooh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo / Oooh! ooo-aah-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo / Oo-ooh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo Whats up? / And I try, oh my God do I try / I try all the time / In this institution / And I pray, oh my God do I pray / I pray every single day / For revolution / And so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed / Just to get it all out what's in my head / And I, I'm feeling a little peculiar / And so I wake in the morning and I step / Outside and I take deep breath / And I get real high / And I scream to the top of my lungs / What's goin' on / And I say hey-yeah-yea-eah, hey yea yea / I say hey! what's goin' on / And I say hey-yeah-yea-eah, hey yea yea / I say hey! what's goin' on / And I say hey-yeah-yea-eah, hey yea yea / I say hey! what's goin' on / And I say hey-yeah-yea-eah, hey yea yea / I say hey! what's goin' on / Oooh, oo! ooh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo / Oo-ooh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo-ahh-haa / 25 years of my life and still / I'm trying to get up that great big hill of hope / For a destination / Oo-ooh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo". What makes it even more fun is watching Mr. Rock N' Roll Rosbon, and the Guitarist Of Doom Drewcifir get in on the jamming. What can I say it's a fun song, and I'm glad it helped bring me and my kid closer, and isn't that what good music is supposed to do.

Pleasantly Blue is a fun little number that will have you tappin' your toe to some Country Blues inspired Rock. This is a bit Honky Tonk, a bit dirty Blues. Also the guitar solo is pretty damn decent.

I love Morphine & Chocolate and I can't give you a good reason. Well that's not true. I like that the song sounds a bit pretty, like a bunch of Mid West girls making some fun music, but then there's that biting dark edge being brought in. I mean this song is slinky, and musically it teases, but you know that's all you are getting. This song will never get you off, because it's not supposed to. It's just meant to tease the hell out of you. One the other hand it does sound a bit like a female climax when you take the song as a whole.

Spaceman and more mellower sounding Rock seems to be a pretty common theme. David Bowie had his, Biff Naked has hers and 4 Non Blondes has their's, which I think ranks up there with the other two. More so with Biff's and less with Bowie's, but then again no one is Bowie.

Old Mr. Heffer reminds me very much of Guns N' Roses Nice Boys from the Lies album, which was a cover from Rose Tattoo. It's a great tune, but clearly not very original sounding.

I find Calling All the People a bit like generic Red Hot Chili Peppers. It's not bad, but I'm not overly impressed. There is a bit of a cool break down around the middle to end of the song, and an okay solo that adds some flair, but for the most part, not overly impressed.

Here is yet another shining example of my kid not knowing the original version, but a cover instead. However, the cover by Pink of Dear Mr. President is very well done. Then again it should be since some of Pink's best known songs were written by Linda Perry, who also wrote most of the songs on this album, as well as a multitude of other hits songs you know. As for this version of the song. Well, it's your standard protest kind of song. I enjoy it, but recognize that not everyone would.

Drifting is a very basic accoustic song, but it feels and sounds so very powerful coming out of the speakers. It's just captivating and enticing. A real strong song, without having to be overly strong.

No Place Like Home also runs in the funky vein you find on much of this album, and artistically it's really cool, but it's not for eveyone. Some people will really dig this track, and others not so much. If given a choice between this or the last track I would have ended the album with Drifting instead.

When it comes down to it this is a mighty fine album, as long as you are into what is going on. This album is not for everyone, and unless you can enjoy a gentler funkier sound I would just stay clear. If you have an open mind you should give the album a whirl, the first half is enticing, while the second is a mix of homage, artistic sensiblity and some filler.

7/10 - content

7/10 - production

8/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment