Friday, April 25, 2014

Iron Maiden - Singles - Running Free / Run To The Hills

The next single I picked up was Running Free/Run To The Hills, which contains live versions of two of my top five Maiden tracks. Also two of the most insane drumming tracks the band has ever released, done live. In fact every song on this album is from the Live After Death recordings. Until Iron Maiden finally decided to release their big extended version of that live album, this single was the only way to get some of these live recordings.

The tracks that are found on Live After Death have been covered before but not very well I'm discovering as I re-read that review while doing this. I'm also discovering that there seems to be some odd difference I'm noticing now that I didn't notice when I did the review for Live After Death, or the review I did for that was digitally remastered. I'd have to double check, because the production on this single seems a bit thin at the time.

As I mentioned before I love the song Running Free. The version on this album is cut down almost ten minutes from the lengthy one found on other editions. Cutting this one down doesn't change the pure energy used to end the night, it just doesn't let you hear how hard Maiden works at tiring out the crowd either. It's not the orignal, but that's okay, it doesn't need to be.

This may be the one version of Sanctuary I actually enjoy. Normally I tend to rip on the song, but in this case I'm happy to hear it.

I made a joke about there being no songs from Killers when I wrote the original review for Live After Death, only to later be greated by Murders In The Rue Morgue on this disc. I'm actually glad to hear it on here. I haven't listen to this single in years and forgot it was even on here. I can see why it was removed from the original album release, but if you are into live recordings it's cool to experience.

Run To The Hills I'm mentioned how the tracks on this album seem a bit thin, but in the case of this song it really hurts because it's the drums that always come off the thinnest on the recording. Nicko McBrain is an amazing drummer with a very full and lush drum set, and you can hear it, but only quietly in the background.

Phantom Of The Opera live. Um, the only thing I can say is "Fuck yeah!" I know it's a bit lame to sum up this track, but what are you going to do. The only flaw to this song is that the vocals get a bit muddied, but when you listen to how they are delivered it's easy to understand why. However, the music is amazing.

Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) I know nothing about outside of this album. It's a really kickin' track though. It has a great upbeat vibe and comes off to me as a pretty cool jam.

Listen With Nicko! Part VII is pretty much a giant comedy set, and pretty much the way I feel about this track sums up how I feel about this entire single. It's really wicked to listen to if you are a fan, but if you are just the casual listener, don't bother.

9/10 - content

6/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment