Friday, January 3, 2014

Music From And Inspired By M:I-2

The idea behind this soundtrack was clearly star power. Like the fact that Limp Bizkit performed Take A Look Around (Theme From "M:I-2"), which opens the album. It's the perfect way to describe how this album works more or less.

There are also a few tracks that I have no clue why they made this album. Then there's one track that I would consider a hidden gem.

The second track on the album is Metallica's I Disappear. I'm not sure if there is any other way to get this song than on this album. If you are a real Metallica fan you will need to have this album for that reason. Even if you hate the song, because you think it's complete commercial bullshit. As for what I think about the song, well I'm not really sure. It does what it's supposed to do. It super charges the album with a high octane track that makes you want to force your foot down as hard and as fast as you can on the gas and go. I would put this on any driving album I made.

Rob Zombie is next up with Scum Of The Earth. I'm not a fan of this song. I have no clue where it showed up first, and I care so little for the track I can't be bothered to look either. But I also understand why people like it and why it was included. This song speeds along at break neck pace.

Keep in mind that even though those bands were not the biggest bands in 2000, they weren't out of date or used up has beens either. Hell, Zombie only got better after that point, and Metallica became a lot less commercial.

Then it's on to They Came In from Butthole Surfers. Let me start by saying I know why I have never heard of this band, other than in jokes. What the hell? I think there's a space man trying to melt my brain through the computer. Although Andie may like this, because she likes that kind of screwed up music. If I have to say something nice, it's got a steady computer generated beat.

The Pimps give this album Rocket Science. Anyone else enjoying that little joke. This song sounds like early Marilyn Manson, think lunch box era, but with a more of a Korn vibe to it.

Next up is the Foo Fighters and Brian May covering Pink Floyd's Have A Cigar. This is a fantastic cover. I'm a huge fan of the original, and I love how true to that original this cover is, while at the same time totally jacking it up and making it real heavy. Much like the original, it is the soloing that really helps push this song over the top. This song to me is this album's greatest saving grace.

When it comes to Chris Cornell I have tons of respect. He's a musician that knows how to write good songs that people really enjoy. He's a really cool vocalist, and when the mood takes me the right way I can really dig what he's doing. However, that mood doesn't come often. When it comes to Mission 2000, his contribution to this album, he brings it, but it sounds a bit like a left over from the Sound Garden days. Not a bad left over, just one of those tracks that showed up towards the end and never got a chance.

Godsmack Going Down is pretty much what you would expect from Godsmack. It's not a bad track either. I've never been a fan of the band, but this track is worth a listen.

What U Lookin' At sounds a lot like what I would expect from Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker. It's not my thing, but I'm sure there are others out there that would dig on it.

By the time we get to track eleven I start to notice that I really was out of the loop with music when I picked up this album. A lot of this stuff is music that would either get lumped into Post Grunge or Industrial and while that's kind of acurate, it's not very fair. However, both those terms apply to the next track, Backwards. This is performed by Apartment 26. This is pretty stock on the whole. I'm sure some people dig on it, but I would like to think even they would find this a bit stock.

Buckcherry's Alone is one of those songs where if you have ever heard a Buckcherry song, you've heard this one as well. Tinfed's sound lives up to there name on Immune. It sounds like early Emo, if it was being spit out of the corporate machine these days. Even the lyrics are total mass produced tripe. "Can't resist, full of lies, full of it and fully deny / Couldn't risk but couldn't decided anyway / I admit I would deceive, you are hit with this disease / Another fact I just can't conceive / And the truest most pure of hearts / And the truest most pure is not / Immune to blue, immune to blue, blue / I admit I confess evil without rest / And you'd be true at any test so wise up / What was thrown down to you / Could be a crown on me, we can speak here openly / And the truest most pure of hearts / And the truest most pure is not / Immune to blue, immune to blue, blue / Immune to blue, immune to blue, blue / And the truest is / And the truest is / And the truest is / And the truest is / And the truest most pure of hearts / And the truest most pure is not / Immune to blue, immune to blue, blue / Immune to blue, immune to blue / And so soon we'll all be immune / So soon we'll all be immune / So soon we'll all be immune / So soon we'll all be immune".

I would like to point out that this album really started going down hill back around Going Down, but by this point it's a complete out of control downward spiral. When you hear or read the name Powderfinger doing a track called Not My Kinda Scene, you sure don't expect this whiny sappy bullshit that goes on here. Now I remember why I don't normally put this album in the CD player.

Okay, when I saw that Tori Amos was on this album I almost crapped myself laughing. I know that's crude and all, but really really read over the track listing again. The song is called Carnival, and pretty much makes me think of Madonna's Frozen, or a variation on the whole Ray of Light album.

The album is completed with Nyah, which is done by Hans Zimmer featuring Heitor Pereira. This is a nice little, Latin, guitar based, song. It's pretty much the only song after Backwards that's worth listening to, and one of only four songs on this album that could end up on my Mp3 player at some point.

The first half of this album isn't bad. The second half seems to be pretty much a free for all of miscellanious debris. On the whole I would probably suggest looking for the few choice individual songs off this one, unless you can find it in a nice cheap bin somewhere.

5/10 - content

7/10 - production

6/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment