Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Metallica - Unplugged

Metallica would never do a MTV Unplugged album. That would be too cliche, since they wouldn't have been the first to do it. Instead loyal fans with too much time and extra money have to look for bootleg compilations, because that's just cooler. Okay, it kind of is.

This Unplugged album is not a band sanctioned release, but when I put it in the computer my Windsows Media Player displays a track list. So, it is a recognized album.

The album opens with Lowman's Lyric. I'm the only person I know that actually likes this song. The sound on this recording is bootleg for sure. It's awesome to hear, and I really wish I would have been there to hear this live. I also like the way James jokes around at the end of the song, about playing accoustic.

Then they kick in to a blazing version of Helpless. I mean they really go to town, with some accoustic boogie woogie. I really don't care for Tuesday's Gone. It doesn't matter which Metallica version it is, or even if it's the original Lynyrd Skynyrd version. Also there are some limitations in the original recording of the song, that create an extra fuzz and buzz at points. On the bright side Jerry Cantrel solos on the song quite nicely.

I love Poor Twisted Me, and this accoustic version is totally bad ass. The way it's played is just totally what you'd really want to hear from Metallica while they jam accoustic.

You hear about Metallica Unplugged and there are two songs that I know you, that you know, that we know two songs that will be on here for sure. Fade To Black is the first of those two songs. I'm not a fan of the song. It's a decent song, just not for me is all. I will say that I love the different ways that Kirk busts out on the guitar with this one. This song is worth listening to just for the guitar work, it's fantastic.

I actually got to see Metallica perform The Four Horsemen live and accoustic during the tour for Reload. I thought it was totally bitchin' and bad ass back then, and still do while listening to this version. This is like some real dark pits of hell Country song. It really feels like the horsemen are chasing after you. I would love to hear a studio version of the accoustic rendition.

The second song in that discussion we were having above about songs we know will be on here is next. And it's Nothing Else Matters. Like you could have an accoustic set without this song. Not a favourite of mine, but it makes sense. At least it does the first time. I will admit that the solo is worth a good listen.

Last Caress is really fun when played accoustic. I love this rendition, and when I heard it live as well. It's a really great jam song.

The first eight tracks were recorded live at the Bridge Benefit, Mountain View, California, on the 19th October 1997. The next track was recorded for Virgin FM, London Studios, November 1997. It's another version of Nothing Else Matters. Why they wouldn't have spaced it out better I don't know, but it would have been nice. The sound on this version sounds somewhat mixed and produced, while the previous version had sounded more like a live get together jam. Kirk's solo is also better on the first version of this song.

Mama Said is yet another song I like, that many Metallica fans do not. This was done for Later Show, in London, November of 1997.

After that the album switches over to plugged in live recordings. The first up is a favourite of mine, Wasting My Hate. I was lucky enough to get to hear this song live during the Load tour. The down side is this version, also recorded for Later Show, isn't as good as it had sounded when I heard it live.

The last two tracks were recorded live at Alexander Palace, London, 14th of November, 1996. Those songs are Last Caress and So What. These are pretty typical live renditions of these songs. The sound quality leaves something to be desired, but it's a bootleg so what do you expect.

This album is for the hardcore fans. It has some good merit, and allows the listener to enjoy some interesting new renditions of classic songs.

6/10 - content

5/10 - production

7/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment