Monday, December 10, 2012

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day

This review is for one of the coolest experiences I've had with music, and my friends.

When I heard about the Zeppelin reunion I creamed myself and wanted to see it so badly. I hoped that they would do a full tour, and all that other bullshit. Sadly that didn't happen. Instead they did one show, and they did it right. They recorded video and audio, using all of today's technologies to their advantage, and then released it for everyone to enjoy the majesty of a little Led for the head.

The first release was the concert on the big screen. Andria and I made damn sure to go see it in theaters on the first night. Windsor had two showings, but we only went to the first one, and I'm glad we did.

Now I just celebrated my thirty-fourth birthday, and if you do the math you'll figure out there is no way I ever would have been able to see Led Zeppelin in their day. The best I've ever been able to experience was the Led Zeppelin DVD. Which was really good, but still not the same. I also owned a copy of The Song Remains The Same, but even the band was never fond of that video. However, this concert is a completely different story.

Let me start by saying that three separate people either did, or were going to buy me, this two CD, one Blu Ray and one DVD set for my birthday. Andria had picked it up. My heterosexual life mate (Thank you for that one Kevin Smith!) Drew, also picked it up. Then my partner in crime Robson also had it in his hands, but figured that Andria probably got it, and opted to get me drunk instead. I think that was a very smart move.

Well Drew was the one who gave it to me first, because we partied the weekend before my birthday, and Andria was waiting for my birthday. So she had to return the copy she picked up, and buy me a really bitchin' Rush shirt instead. I love my hand selected family.

Now I'm going to start by covering the negative parts to this two disc audio oragasm. Black Dog and Rock And Roll are the only two songs on Celebration Day that I don't care for. Both for the exact same reason. They sounded too tight, too praticed, too rehearsed. If they had been looser they would have been better. Basically what I'm saying is those songs should never feel forced, and they did. I will also point out that the first three songs on the album are Good Times Bad Times, Ramble On and Black Dog. They had some issues with feedback one these songs during the actual performance, so when you are listening you can really hear how they've been pulled back in the mix. The reason I say this is because when In My Time Of Dying kicks in the room almost starts to shake and rumble, and it is so amazing.

As for the music, well it's fucking awesome. Good Times was the perfect way to start the concert. Absolutely brilliant! I love Ramble On, on various levels and this performance doesn't tarnish any of them. It's always good to get the commercial crap out of the way early on, although I do like Black Dog on the original studio album. Not so much on here. My Uncle Bill helped set me right when it came to Zeppelin when I was young.

In My Time Of Dying is 11:11 of live orgasmic energy flowing through the airwaves. I just can't get over how amazing the band sounds doing this song.

I guess I should also mention that it's Jason Bonham on drums. Son of the ledgendary drummer John Bonham, which sadly God didn't want to let come back for this one show, so we got the next best thing. Not only did he do it well, but he nailed it out of the park. It was awesome not only watching him play, but also listening to him sing. Which I'll get to in a bit.

I've always been a fan of the song For Your Life. It's just great, and although Robert Plant doesn't perform it exactly the same as on the album, which is great, it's even better that there's finally a live version of this song. What's even better than that is that it's totally rockin' and done so well.

When they fire up Trampled Underfoot it's total rock out mode. I don't get up and dance, "I'm a drummer, I don't dance," but I sit in my chair and boogie my little ass off. Actually, when I'm in the mood I'll dance my goofy little tushy off. Also, John Paul Jones owns this song. His keyboards are killer, and it's easy to over look Jimmy Page's totally mind blowing solo. Hell, writing this song's review is damn hard because it's taking everything I've got not to bang my head full blast.

How do you follow up such amazing heart pounding musical enjoyment. With Nobody's Fault But Mine of course. And all I have to say is wow. Plant doesn't try to hit the stupid crazy ass high note, and that's good. However, the way they do it you don't notice anyway. It's still totally righteous. The first disc finishes with No Quarter. I have a mixed history with this song. As a teen I didn't care for it much. In my twenties I started to really enjoy it. Most of my dislike for this song actually came from The Song Remains The Same. I never liked the performance. This version is a completely different story. Oh! My! God! It's musical Nirvana, not to be mixed up with the overrated, and under talented band from Seattle. It sounds just so beautiful, especially when you get into the musical interlude. This song proves the existence of magic as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention God. People can say what they want about the whole contract with the Devil bs that's been thrown around over the years, nothing this good could come from Hell.

Since I've Been Loving You opens the second disc. This is Blues as Blues should be played. Sure it's a bit practiced, and very closely done to the original, but impressive all the same. However, this song may not be for everyone. It's soulfully slow, and passionately tender, and feels beyond epic in length.

As Robert Plant says on the video, but is cut from the CDs, "There are some song we had to play live," and Dazed And Confused is the beast that he was talking about. This song is killer, and this live rendition is fantastic. I know some people won't be impressed with the bow part, part screw 'em.

After that it's on to Stairway To Heaven. Is this as good as the studio version? Nope. I'm not even going to try and sell you that crap. However, it's still really bitchin'.

I'm a bit surprised that they did The Song Remains The Same. Not that it's a bad song, it's just a bit of a surprise to me. It's pretty good, but it's much better to watch than to just listen to.

Misty Mountain Hop is fucking awesome! It's so bouncy and upbeat and Jason Bonham kills it as the second vocalist. This is just such an excellent rendition. It's a jolly afternoon hop. Hell, I could picture Julie Andrews circa The Sound Of Music bouncing around to this one on her Mp3 player.

So there's only three tracks left, and you know at this point what all three are going to be. You just don't know the order. The first one is the epic beast Kashmir. It's not as heavy as I thought it would have been, but it is fantastic. There's just this incredible sound, and it's so clear. The mix on this entire album is really decent. At some points it's a bit sketchy, but no real big deal. However, by this point the sound is pretty much perfect.

That is then followed up by Whole Lotta Love, which they do much closer to the original studio version than I've heard in other live recordings. That was always a major bitch for me. I don't mind what they change in the instrumental, experimental, exploritory, let's jam the fuck out of this bitch section, that's awesome and I love that, but keep the root of the song the same. Thankfully that is what they did. However, in the other section mentioned above it's totally awesome, and includes some bitchin' theremin work from Jimmy Page.

That means that the album ends on a bit of a down note for me. Rock And Roll is the last song, and like I said at the begining of this review, it's only a down note begins it sounds too practiced and refined. It's too polished sounding, and not loose enough. It's like they were trying too hard to make it sound just right. Other than that, it sounds fantastic.

This is a great Led Zeppelin collection. I could carry on about it, and I have to my friends a ton already. So just go pick it up already, but spend the extra cash and get the full set. It's so worth it.

9/10 - content

8/10 - production

10/10 - personal bias

No comments:

Post a Comment